Don’t Lose Advantages of Your Retirement Plans After You Relocated to Canada from the United States
Alexey Manasuev, LL.M. (Int’l Tax), NYU, TEP
Alexey Manasuev is a U.S. tax attorney with over 16 years of U.S. tax, international tax, and transfer pricing experience. Alexey assists clients from a broad range of industries, including businesses, high net worth individuals, and U.S. citizens and Green card holders residing outside the United States, including Canada.
Matthew Bacchiochi, CFA, CFP
For more than twenty years, Matthew has been coordinating the financial affairs for NHL players and high net worth individuals. He co-founded GAVIN in 2003 with Stew Gavin and established the firm’s investment philosophy, portfolio management process, financial planning program and compliance regime.
Topics Covered in This Webinar
There are a lot of taxpayers who are interested in moving/returning to Canada. As part of their relocation, one of the significant issues is how to deal with their retirement accounts/plans in both countries. In addition, it is important to understand applicable restrictions and limitations on what taxpayers can do and what they cannot do in terms of their investments – failure to comply with the rules may result in CRA or IRS penalties and potential double taxation. During the webinar, we would discuss key financial/regulatory and tax considerations, as well as financial and tax planning opportunities that investors/taxpayers should consider when relocating to another country.
Here’s just a sample of what we’ll cover during this webinar:
- Outline cross-border and U.S. tax compliance and withholding framework applicable to income from investments in various retirement plans and accounts (such as 401(K), traditional and Roth IRA);
- Principal issues and considerations relevant to maintaining retirement accounts after the tax residency change;
- How to “rollover” your IRA/401(K) plan to Canada in a tax-efficient manner;
- How to rollover your retirement investment plans within the United States;
- Key considerations on making contributions to and distributions from your retirement plans after relocation to another country;
- Important cross-border estate planning considerations involving your retirement plans;
- Practical tips and recommendations on staying out of trouble;
- And more…
Who Will Benefit From Attending This Webinar?
This webinar is intended for individuals who move between the United States and Canada, their trusted advisors and tax professionals. The content is especially relevant to U.S. tax and Canadian tax advisors who are assisting their clients in addressing U.S. tax and cross-border implications.
To learn more, please register and gain the knowledge you need to help your clients plan their move to Canada and effectively manage their potential cross-border and U.S. tax exposure. Plus, you can earn up to 1 CPD credit (relevant to Canadian CPAs). We hope you join us!